Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Back at work. Yuck.

Well it was a lovely weekend.  Almost all of the tenants have either moved out or were of town somewhere getting hammered and destroying someone else's property.  So all was quiet here, which allowed for a nice little break.  Three days with friends and family is my idea of perfection.  But, alas,  I had to return to Idiotville today.  God for bid I get to enjoy more than two days off in a row. 

Two of my favorite calls today in the midst of the insanity that always happens right before move outs start (round one of lease's ending starts tomorrow) were the following.

One is from a dad who we shall call Redneck Pete.  Pete is upset that his daughters lease (that she signed last December during pre-leasing) doesn't begin until the 3rd.  Apparently he is just now reading the lease that he co-signed and decided to wait until the week before it begins.  He says that the 3rd falls on a Tuesday and surely I have lots of upset people since it isn't on a weekend.  Why can't it just be the first?? 

I explained that all our leases begin on the 3rd of a month and end on the 28th of a month.  It gives us 5 days or so to flip the units for the next tenants. 

He is still upset since I don't seem to understand that the 3rd is on a Tuesday.  People have to work.  I explain that I can't control what day of the week any particular day falls on.  He assures me that if our leases just started on the first then people could move in on the weekends and that would be easier.  I am still not sure how to explain to him that the first can and actually has fallen on a week day before and no matter what the date is that a lease starts there is always the potential for it to be on a weekday.  He told me I must just be too dumb to understand what he was saying.  Sure.  That was the problem. 

Second favorite call of the day is from a mom who says her son has already moved out and she will be needing his deposit back now.  Can she just stop by the office and pick it up?  Ummmm..... no.  There are still two people living there and his lease isn't even up until tomorrow.  I will need to do the inspection on the loft before I can refund anything.  And your son and his friends have multiple fines and fees on their account that will have to come out of the deposit before I can refund anything.  She assures me she will not be paying for anything that he and his friends did while they were living there.  I tell her that is fine, I will take what I can from the deposit, if it is more than that I will send her a bill.  She can make her own choices from there, since she is a co-signer and if we had to go to court she would be included in the case.  She again assures me that I won't see a dime and she is demanding his deposit back in full.  I should just say "ok. Here is all his money.  No it is ok that he always paid rent late, and we totally don't mind that he had a dog that he paid no pet deposit on, and we love that we have to replace two doors and all the blinds in the apartment.  We would love for that to just be on us.  Really.  I think that we would really be teaching him a valuable lesson by rewarding his idiocy."  Sadly, she would probably agree.   

I can't wait for the 80 million phone calls that will come in all summer when people don't like what they get back from their deposit.  Even if they get back 80% of it they just aren't happy.  They think we should just cover the cost of everything they do.  Yet another fine lesson from parents.  Who in all reality will probably be the ones calling and complaining.  Effing enablers.

No comments:

Post a Comment