Thursday, June 23, 2022

Petty Betty

Tenant: I just got my deposit back and you can't charge us for this. The fire marshal says you are responsible for the smoke detectors and the batteries. Me: We are responsible for providing them and making sure they work when you move in. You are responsible for them while you live there. Tenant: Wrong. The city says you have to maintain them. (I have a little panic as I think maybe the law has changed and I don't know, but I typically keep up with that stuff) Me: I will gladly look into that but in the past the law was: We are responsible for providing them and making sure they work when you move in. You are responsible for them while you live there. Tenant: You better look it up Me: (Looks up law then types what might be my most favorite email I have ever sent) Per Sec.blah blah of the city of blah blah Smoke Alarm Regulations, Responsibilities of Tenant: "The tenant shall provide and maintain functional batteries for each battery powered smoke alarm and shall not disconnect the electrical source from electrically powered smoke alarms. The tenant shall not remove or relocate any smoke alarm installed by the owner. The tenant shall test and maintain alarms within the dwelling unit or room and notify the owner or agent in writing of any deficiencies." When we did our walk thru, you all had actually removed the batteries from your smoke detector and left it hanging off the wall. I have reached out to someone in the City of blah blah to make sure there is nothing else we need to be adding to the move out when we find that tenant violation. I will for sure let you know what I find out. Thank you for bringing this violation to my attention. It might be petty, but damn it enjoyed it

No comments:

Post a Comment