Thursday, August 25, 2016

Boom

So back in January, all the delightful college kids went home for the holidays.  I had sent out reminders in December about paying January rent.  Experience told me that they would all forget once they got home. 

Of course about a quarter of my tenants forgot to pay rent.  Here is the lovely exchange I had with a parent via text about their child's rent.  On January 16th:

Hover Mother: My son says he owes for January.  I tried to get online and pay but it won't let me.
Me: Online pay has not been available since October.
Hover Mother: No I always pay online.
Me: Maybe before October.  But his October, November, and December rent were not paid online. It is no longer offered as it is very expensive for such a small company.
Hover Mother: I know for a fact I paid online, I am not sure why you are lying.
Me: I can give you the check number that you used to pay his rent, if that would help you.  Also, do you need to know the amount of the late fee so you can include it in his January rent?
Hover Mother: I am not paying a late fee.  It is your fault because you took away the online this month. 
Me: Mam, This will now be the fourth month it has been gone.  Here are your check number's from the previous months ###, ###, ###.  They were all received in the office by the 1st.  From you.  We allowed a grace period the first month the online pay was gone so people could get used to the online pay being gone. We are not doing that this month.
Hover Mother:  I need to speak to you boss, I am not sure why you insist on being so rude and lying.
Me: I am the boss. 
Hover Mother: I don't believe you.
Me: I'm not sure how to help you.  He owes for January.  It is late.  None of that is rude or a lie.  Please let me know if you would like the late fee total.
Hover mother: Do you own the property?
Me: No.
Hover Mother:  I want to speak to the owner. 
Me: He won't tell you anything different than me and I manage the properties, not him.
Hover Mother: I want to speak to him now.  (she calls instead of texts at this point.)

At this point I call in the owner to sit in on the phone call, I put her on speaker and we begin a lovely chat.

Hover Mother:  Jane has been extremely rude to me regarding the January rent.  I need to get this taken care of and I think it is absurd that she is requiring us to pay a late fee. Can you help us get this resolved?
Owner: Yes, she has made me aware of the situation.  I have read the texts.  I am not sure where the confusion is. What can I do for you to help?
Hover Mother: She is telling me lies and.... (owner cuts her off)
Owner:  Actually mam, I am looking over the rent records, and Jane is correct.  You paid via check the last few months.  Not online.  So I know you were aware there was no online pay.  Also the check always arrived by the 1st so it would seem you also are aware of when it is due.  So again, if you could tell me where your confusion is, I would gladly help you.  Were you just needing to know the total of the late fee so you could add it to your rent.
Hover mother: (silence)
Owner:  I am going back to my office, Jane can assist you from this point on.
Me: Mam, would you like that total?
Hover Mother: (quietly, yes)

Me: Image result for drops mic meme

No comments:

Post a Comment