Wednesday, February 28, 2018

A little catching up

Never mistake the absence of posts for the absence of idiocy.  Sometimes I just don't have time. Sometimes I just can't bring myself to think about the dumb stuff they do.   But here are a few gems from the recent weeks:

We fired our head maintenance guy.  We hired a new guy.  He called in for his first day.  Came in late on his second. And needed to leave early on his fifth day.  Shockingly, we let him come back for a second week.  He threatened to quit no less than 6 different times, because the job was just too stressful.  This man was a retired police officer and ex military.  I just have no words to explain how confused I was by him not being able to handle the work load and the mean little college kids.  We let him go after week two.



In January, one of our maintenance guys called me in a panic to come look at something the tenants were doing.  Never a good sign.  I rush over to the property he is at to find tenants attempting to clean up after a party from the night before.  They live in one of our bigger units in a nearly 100 year old building with the original hard wood floors. The had just dumped bucket after bucket of bleach water onto the floor and were using brooms and mops to push it out the front door.  When I say buckets (plural) that is not an exaggeration.  It was multiple full mop buckets.  I made them stop dumping the water and get it wiped up and pushed out the door very quickly.  They just couldn't not understand what I was so upset about.  They assured me this is how you clean wood floors.  After explaining to them, that no that is not how you clean wood floors and giving them a long list of reasons why, they still didn't understand.  We are now on month 3 of monitoring the basement under their unit to make sure there are no issues and I can only imagine the damage that will have to be repaired when they move out.  100 year old hard wood floors.  Buckets of hot bleach water.  Seriously



All the power went out on the west side of town the other night.  Blocks and blocks without power.  Someone had hit a pole.  It was 9 at night. I got the first call and explained they would have to call the utility company.  They were upset that I couldn't just tell them when the power would be back on.  I tried to explain that I had no control of the city and the utilities and that it wasn't just their unit or building or even block but nearly the whole west side of town.  We are talking multiple square miles of no power. Then the calls just kept coming.  I basically spent two hours repeating that I don't actually control the power company.  I do, however, love that they think I am that powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment